Going solar is now easier and more cost-effective for homeowners than ever before. Gone are the days of spending a huge percentage of your savings to go green and make your home more sustainable. Thanks to today’s modern, sleek and advanced technology, solar panels can easily be integrated into many features of your home, particularly the roof. Investing in solar roofing will not only save you money on energy bills; it also lowers your carbon footprint.
If you’re looking to learn more about how solar roofing can be beneficial for your home and how you can jump on the growing bandwagon, you’ve come to the right place. In this post, you’ll learn some of the most important insights on solar roofing. Hopefully, this will also answer your questions about solar roofs well enough for you to make smart decisions about going solar.
The Popularity of Solar Roofing Among Homeowners
Solar power, in a nutshell, is energy that comes from the sun in the form of light and heat. Not only does it support life on our planet as we know it; it also has power to control weather systems and generate renewable energy. This energy becomes beneficial once sunlight is converted into electricity. In some cases, this energy can also be used as thermal or mechanical power using either photovoltaics (PV) or concentrated solar power, or both. A common application of concentrated solar power today is via solar panels.
Many homes in the United States use solar panels for their roofing due to the proven sustainability and energy efficiency they offer. In fact, as of 2017, there were 1.3 million solar installations across the country, with a cumulative capacity of over 40 gigawatts. According to the Solar Energy Industries Association, one megawatt of electricity can power 164 homes, so 40 gigawatts has the capacity to power as many as 6,560,000 homes in the U.S.
Factors to Consider Before Investing in Solar Roofing
Thanks to modern technology, solar shingles can now mimic the look of most roofing materials available on the market. Thin PV sheets are made to either replace or lay on top of existing shingles. The natural solar features of these materials allow them to act as solar panels by capturing and the converting sun’s energy. No matter how easy to use and accessible they may be, though, not all homes can benefit from solar panels. Consider these factors before investing in this product:
- Your electricity bill and consumption. The higher your energy consumption, the more likely you’ll benefit from solar roofing, as your savings will become more apparent.
- Your home’s exposure to sunlight. You can potentially produce more energy if your house is located in an area that gets constant sun exposure.
- The government usually offers tax credits and incentives for solar installations.
- Solar roofing options. Aside from traditional solar panels, many more stylish roofing options can be found on the market today.
Do these points sound appealing? If so, solar roofing could be right up your alley!
Why Go Solar?
Solar roofing is becoming more and more popular among American homeowners because of the numerous benefits it provides, including:
- Reduced energy costs. Installed properly, solar roofing can become your primary source of energy, reducing your reliance on artificial systems. This can lower your annual energy costs over time.
- Increased home value. According to the National Appraisal Journal, every dollar saved in annual energy costs can add around $20 to a home’s market value. Without a doubt, solar roofing has the potential to boost your property value significantly.
- Return on investment. A solar energy system can generate twice as much in savings as the cost of the installation due to long-term reduction in energy costs it provides. For instance, an average six-kilowatt power system can help generate as much as 20-year savings of $10,000 to $30,000. Investing in solar roof panels is definitely one of the smartest decisions you can make for your home.
A Look at Modern Solar Roofing: GAF® DecoTech™
GAF, North America’s leading roofing manufacturer has recently introduced their contribution to the solar market: the DecoTech solar roofing system. Unlike the awkward-looking rack-mounted traditional panels, the DecoTech system offers an ultra-sleek, low-profile design that allows for maximum solar performance. It’s integrated directly into existing roofing systems, ensuring a smooth, hassle-free installation. Due to this unique design, the system can blend in seamlessly with your home’s exterior, resulting in an eco-friendly and incredibly energy-efficient roof that’s also beautiful. To complement its sleek design, DecoTech also features a deco black gloss finish.
Solar roofing may not be ideal for all homeowners, but there’s no denying the advantages it offers. The materials that comprise these systems not only can help save the planet, but can also save you big money down the road. Be sure to talk to a professional roofing contractor today to learn about your best options.
Brian Spicer is the President of Spicer Bros. Construction, a home improvement contractor that offers exterior remodeling to homeowners across the DelMarVa peninsula. When he’s not busy with office and construction work, he shares home improvement tips and other industry knowledge through the company blog.